INDIAN FRIED RICE
Fried rice is a popular dish that people like to eat for lunch, dinner and sometimes even breakfast. It can be prepared with a variety of ingredients, depending on which vegetables a person might like. Rice is a staple food for my family, so I often end up with left over rice. One of the best things you can do with left over rice is to prepare fried rice.
I always keep some frozen green beans and peas in my freezer for emergencies. These come in handy when I want to make a quick fried rice dish, because these two vegetables go well with fried rice.
- 3 cups of cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, vegetable oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala (optional)
- Optional: 2 green chillies, chopped (deseeded)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 serving spoon of carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup of frozen green peas
- 1 cup of frozen green beans
- 2 medium sized button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Heat the oil on a large pan, then add cumin and fry for 5 seconds. Add sliced onion and fry untill the onion become slightly brown.
- Add all the spice powders and chopped tomato and mix well.
- Add all the vegetables into the mixture and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and salt. Fry all the ingredients together for about 4 more minutes. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves if you have some.
- Serve hot.