Chana Aloo Kanghou/Stir Fried Chickpea And Potato
Chana Aloo Kanghou is a spicy stir fried side dish from my home state of Manipur. I cook Manipuri dishes not only for their taste, but also for the memories they bring for me. This particular dish is a snack which goes very well with afternoon tea or supper. It also goes well with rice, particularly as an after school meal.
I like spicy food because I grew up in a community where spices are important ingredient in bringing out extra tang in the food. If you don’t like spicy food, or do not have one or more of the spices in this recipe, you can simply omit the spices you don’t have or want. The dish will still be tasty.
- 2 medium sized boiled potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 2 cups of cooked small chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil, or any vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of whole cumin seeds
- 1 serving spoon of garlic chives, chopped into half inch pieces
- 1 medium size onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of ginger paste, or finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon of garlic paste, or finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 3 Indian green chillies, slit in half
- 1 serving spoon of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 serving spoons of cabbage, chopped (for garnishing)
- 1 medium size onion, thinly sliced (for garnishing)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium flame. Add bay leaves and cumin seeds. Fry until the cumin seeds become light brown.
- Add garlic, chives and onion. Sauté on high heat until the onions become light brown at the edges.
- Add ginger and garlic paste along with all the ground spices. Mix well.
- Add chopped potatoes, chickpeas and salt into the mixture. Fry for 10 minutes.
- One minute before turning off the flame, add the green chilli and half of the chopped coriander. Mix well.
- After turning off the flame, pour the final mixture into a bowl or platter. Garnish the mixture with chopped coriander, sliced onion and cabbage. Enjoy.