For many people, a meal without salad is not a complete meal. When I cook a rice dish along with curry, a simple salad makes the meal just perfect. I often make a variety of salads at home. This particular salad is simple and tasty. I sometimes even serve it as an afternoon snack for my family.
- ½ cup of roughly torn curly parsley
- 5-6 leaves of mint leaves, roughly torn
- 1 large boiled potato, cut into cubes
- ½ cup of boiled chickpeas
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large tomato, de-seeded, chopped or thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Place chickpeas, potato cubes, onion, tomato, parsley and mint in a large salad bowl and mix well.
- Place the ground black pepper, chilli flakes, olive oil, lemon juice and salt inside a smaller bowl. Mix well by whisking with a fork or spoon. This mixture is the dressing. Pour the dressing onto the salad mixture inside the larger bowl and gently mix it all together with a spoon. Alternatively, you can also mix everything together by tossing the mixture inside the bowl. Once that is done, serve immediately.
This is one of my favourite salads, because it is simple, tasty and quick to prepare!!!
Whenever I cook chickpea curry, I always keep some chickpeas aside for later use in this particular salad. Cooked chickpeas that you are planning to use later must always be stored in the fridge. It is also not advisable to use cooked chickpeas that are more than a day old. Canned chickpeas can also be used.
If you want to use freshly cooked chickpeas, it is best to soak the chickpeas in water overnight before cooking them. Put 1 cup of chickpeas along with 2cups of water in a pressure cooker and cook till the pressure cooker gives 7 to 8 whistles. Cooking time can be different depending on the pressure cooker you are using. You must therefore determine cooking time according to your pressure cooker. In some pressure cookers, the chickpeas can be ready in as few as 6 whistles, whereas in others, they can take 15 whistles or more. You might have to try once or twice to determine how many whistles it takes on your particular pressure cooker. I definitely recommend using a pressure cooker, because chickpeas take far too long to cook properly in an ordinary pot.
I recommend using extra virgin olive oil for the dressing. Extra virgin olive oil is widely used as a salad dressing, because it is better for health. Another advantage is that it leaves a mild desirable taste on the salad.
Yield – serves 4
Preparation time – 1O minutes (approx.)
Chickpea – 1 cup, boiled
Cucumber – 1 cup, cut in small cubes
Cherry tomatoes – 1cup, cut in half
Mint leaves – 1 serving spoon, roughly torn, for garnishing
Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Lemon juice- 1 tablespoon, fresh
Ground black pepper-(optional)
Salt – ¼ teaspoon
Place all the ingredients in a salad bowl. Sprinkle lemon juice, ground pepper and salt. Then pour the extra virgin olive oil over the salad. Mix all the ingredients, then garnish with fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!